Friday, November 5, 2010

Warm wisdom

A small, rather old Chinese lady.  Friendly, but maybe just a little bit annoying.  White hair, a slight old sofa smell, and obviously old-fashioned ways.  And a shrill voice that will eventually become tiresome.  Warm and welcoming, we would end up having tea and biscuits in her flowered and white chinaware.

When I joined that volunteer program for new immigrants, that was my expectation of my first real Canadian friend.  I can't help but smile as I now think about it.  I guess I held very low expectations, just to be safe.  And because of local demographics, as you know.

Thankfully, that old lady never materialized.  After knowing your name, it was clear you were not Asian at all.  A lot of energy, curiosity and a big hunger to walk the world, instead.  I guess I was lucky: We got along like siblings since we met.  Your ever supportive words, funny spirit and sharp mind sure helped.

You said you were afraid that you will not be able to help me, to support my "newcomer" needs.  I was worried you were not feeling helpful enough.  Nothing to worry about.  Again, coincidences do not exist.  I am sure you have given me exactly what I needed:  An open hand, a honest smile.  A joke, lots of laughter and the chance to have a pleasant and welcoming conversation.

What one mostly needs when being new to a country, with a foreign language, different culture, with your beloved ones far away and a lot of new things and challenges to face; is to feel a little bit safer.  To know there is someone you can trust.  To gradually lose that "outsider" feeling, to start belonging to your new life.  And you helped me to feel that way, starting to feel like home.  One Tuesday at a time.  And without any bitter wisdom, at all.

As a new stage of my journey begins, I look back and realize how much I've adapted and evolved; and I am glad and thankful that you were part of it.  And I look forward to keep on sharing more "adventures" with you, my first Canadian friend. 

Now that our partnership has come to an end, that I am feeling more and more like home, that I've got that long awaited job and that tomorrow's your birthday...  It is time to celebrate!  So Happy Birthday and duzhe djakuyu, Sonia Maria!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year 2011
    Please help me to achieve the goal to have 100 enters from each country and at least 100
    countries within 100 days.
    So please ask all your friends to help me.
    Many Thanks
    David
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    http://iscream18.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete