Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conversation in the bus

I left the motel in Surrey at almost lunchtime. Like most of the days in the city, the atmosphere was cold and the sky gray.

After getting on the bus and paying C $ 2.50 in that box that only accepts "exact change", I walked inside. I sat idly in one of the middle seats, trying to adjust the iPod volume (Rock in Spanish, of course). It was then when I realized that my seat neighbour was watching me with curiosity.

I really don't know why I didn't notice her Latin features before, considering that the majority of Surrey residents are Indian. Here, curry in the kitchen, and Chitra, Prasad or names like that are common. And English is spoken with a heavy accent. In summary, we stood out like fireflies, we were the exotic here.

-It's cold, right?
-A little- I replied, somewhat skeptical of finding a Latin here. But I like it cold.
-Oh, I prefer it warm...

A somewhat flirtatious smile made me realize that she was enjoying a conversation in Spanish.

-And where are you from? - I dared to ask.
-I have lived here for almost 10 years now. I came young, from my country. El Salvador.
-Aaah, you are from El Salvador? Great, my grandmother was from Sonsonate...
-We have common roots, then- She replied, while laughing.

That laughter made me feel more comfortable in the, since that moment, warmer bus.

We talked about many things, how I ended up here. My plans, my dreams, my way of seeing the world. She was a really good listener. It was a strange feeling, but I felt like I had known her forever. So I utterly enjoyed being there. Her presence was comforting, almost felt as if it was hugging you.

-I am so happy to find a "neighbour" here. How nice to talk in Spanish! - I smiled.
-Well, yes. I guess... Though you usually get used to the language. After some time, you get used to everything here.

After stopping a few minutes at the Newton station, the bus continued to King George. Ten more minutes.

-And are you married? -I was surprised with the suddenness of her question.
-No, I'm single. I guess it made things easier for me to come up here. And you?
-I'm married. I have four children, and I'm expecting the fifth.
-Wow! Really? - That was all I could answer, considering the difficulties such a big family entails...

I saw her face lit up as she said with pride:
-Yes. The oldest is 8 years old and he's so intelligent! And very dedicated. The second and third are a couple of little devils, but how cute my kids are. The fourth is two years old, she is a baby yet but I know she has a big heart. And the fifth... well the fifth is on her way.

I took a better look at her, as her pregnancy was not apparent. Not at all.
-And how do you know it is girl?
-I just know. Nevermind.

We laughed. An attractive woman she was, definitely. Pretty young for all the children she claimed to have. And there was something in her eyes, something in her features... Something irresistible not to look at. I sensed that she felt the sameway. Something likes a stale affinity, a sleeping endearment.

-It must be hard to live here with four children...
-It's hard. You have to sacrifice a lot. But if you can just look at them, how have they grown.
-I can imagine, I come from a big family too. We are seven... And you can imagine how hard it was for me to leave them...

Now she dipped her head down a bit, thinking.
-The important thing - she finally said, -is that you do not lose touch, lose the affection. Care for each other and never lose the joy, the excitement of being a family.-

I just felt how my eyes clouded as I swallowed hard.

Almost reaching the station, she gave me a kiss on the cheek. She put her hand gently on my face and said:
-Do not worry; everything will be just fine...

Then she rose and walked towards the door. Just before she got off the bus, I managed to babble:
-What is your name?

She looked me straight in the eye, and with a faint smile and an infinite tenderness she replied:
-Adela, my name is Adela. But everyone calls me Gloria.



For Grandma Gloria (+), with much affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment